Cedar siding is more of a premium product than some of its competitors like vinyl siding. As such, it is a bit more expensive upfront, but it also has some hidden perks. Some popular questions across the internet have to do with finding the right time to replace cedar siding. In this article, we’ll provide five signs that indicate it is time to get new siding. Before getting into that, it is important to note that cedar shakes and siding can be repaired and even replaced without needing to redo your entire home. A professional siding contractor can remove rotten or warped pieces and replace cedar elements much easier than say vinyl siding. So, the good news is that just because a few pieces may go bad does not mean you have to commit to residing your entire house.
Without any further ado, here are five signs that it is time to replace your cedar siding:
- Warping – One advantage of cedar is that it has a strong resistance to warping. If you notice that your siding has changed its shape or shows signs of moisture damage then it is likely time to replace some or all of your cedar.
- Mold and Mildew – Mold and mildew growth on the home is a key indication that siding requires replacement. Mold grows where water damage occurs. Eventually, the wood will rot which aside from not looking good, can even cause health problems for those living in the home. Any situation with mold should be handled by a professional as it is unsafe. For amateurs, it is easy to treat the symptom while leaving the root cause unaddressed which means you’ll have recurring mold issues.
- Dry Rot – Unlike some of these other symptoms, this can be simply diagnosed. If you carefully insert a screwdriver beneath boards and joints along gutters and chimneys then you can detect if an area is particularly soft. Such softness would likely mean irreparable rotting damage. Additionally, dry rot is noticeable if the siding crumbles when tapped. Simple to diagnose, but sometimes difficult to notice as the top layer is frequently the last to be affected by dry rot.
- Loose or Missing Shingles – Severe weather or perhaps some home accident can destroy or damage particular shingles. This is definitely a case when it is time to replace those shingles. If done professionally the cost can be relatively minimal since cedar can be strategically replaced as needed rather than committing to a whole new siding job.
- Holes and Cracks – Whether they are caused by swarms of insects, birds, or a backyard game of baseball, holes, and cracks should be dealt with swiftly.
While those five are the most definitive, there are other things worth noting. Have you recently seen a significant rise in heating or cooling expenses? It could be that your house’s insulation is compromised because of damaged siding. Interior peeling paint or wallpaper can also sometimes indicate that siding is worn out. If you notice any of these symptoms it is best to consult with a siding expert.
If you’re in the Greater Cincinnati or Dayton area, contact EMA Construction today to get a free consultation on cedar siding and shakes repair or replacement.